Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Chicken Enchilada Casserole

OK, here is my version of the chicken enchilada recipe that I promised in my last entry. I do not follow recipes when cooking, baking yes, cooking no. Recipes are a suggestion to me and my cooking mind does the rest.  I tried to use ingredients on hand without going out to buy just for the recipe. I also used the leftover taco shells in a taco salad we had the next night.
 
Becky's Chicken Enchilada Casserole
 
4 boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut into cubes
2 cans of Progresso® Light Southwestern-style vegetable soup
1 onion chopped
    chopped garlic ( your preference as to how much)
3/4 cup uncooked rice
2 oz cream cheese
1 cup pinto beans
1 can of corn, drained
1 can chopped tomatoes with green chiles
2/3 cup of shredded low fat cheese
4 taco shells , crushed
 
Brown chicken tenders in skillet. Add onions and garlic. Add the soup when onions are tender. Add rice, pinto beans, corn and tomatoes. Stir. Stir in cream cheese. Let boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to casserole dish and top with crushed taco shells. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and then top with cheese.
 
There was enough for about six to eight decent size servings if accompanied with a nice salad. The points value is based on full fat cream cheese and shredded cheese which is 6 per serving.
 
Hope you enjoy, I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you cook, my husband does the same thing; I'm going to print out both of these recipes show them to him and see what he does with them!

so glad you made them and said they came out good

betty

Anonymous said...

I like how you cook, my husband does the same thing; I'm going to print out both of these recipes show them to him and see what he does with them!

so glad you made them and said they came out good

betty