Tuesday, August 7, 2007

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS: Locals beware

I had the bright idea to take a day off and take my nephew to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center. The aquarium is pretty good. My favorite part was the penguins and the sea otters. The mistake I made was going during peak tourist season.

First sign of my mistake was the line out the door and all the way down the building almost to the seal attraction, oh my. I couldn't turn back then. I stood there for 30-45 minutes with sweat dripping everywhere. You know I wouldn't mind the heat if I didn't perspire but if I didn't perspire I would have a more serious problem, I know.

Second sign, the front of the line was not right in the door. It was down a long hallway then another hallway and in another line. Wow, we finally made it.

The aquarium was so busy and packed. It was worse than Busch Gardens on a busy day. Needless to say my nerves and patience were very low. We decided to take our time and try not to let the busyness rush us .

Anyone who has been there knows there are two buildings that are supposedly 1/4 mile apart on the nature trail. Well let me tell you on a 100 degree day it is not 1/4 of a mile. It is 5000 miles, and yes I was perspiring. Blahhh!

After hours of fighting tourists, my nephew says " I want to ride the "charlie". Translation, he wants to ride the trolley. So we boarded the trolley and went to the oceanfront. That was the highlight of the day. The aquarium was nice but the ocean at around 5 or 6 PM, spectacular. My nephew played in the water for an hour and then we found this wonderful Greek restaurant on the water. He was great during dinner so he was able to have a train ride at the kids amusement after dinner. Then we boarded the "charlie" and went home.

What started off as a weary day turned out to be spectacular, perspiration and all. Isn't that how God works? He takes the ugly and makes it pretty. He takes our sin laden life and turns it around. How wonderful?

Now back to the topic. I will definitely go back to the aquarium but maybe in November or December when I know the tourists are not at the beach. Now I know why when I travel to places and ask locals what they think about a certain attraction and they say, " I don't know I have never been there." I will no longer look surprised because they have better since then I do but they could go in the off season, right.

VA Beach tips for locals:

#1 Go to attractions in off season

#2 If you must go , avoid the lines and buy your tickets ahead of time, online.

#3 If you  have to go , find a place the trolley runs from an off site and pay the dollar to and fro, it is so worth it.

#4 Try the Ammos Greek Restaurant at 1401 Atlantic Ave. Behind 14th St. Fishing Pier On the Boardwalk

No comments: