Saturday, August 18, 2007

Three minus one equals two

I really do try to help people.

My grandparents are 89 and 93 and have been doing fairly good until recently. My grandfather took a terrible fall and hit the brick on his fireplace. His back is just plain ugly. I took a picture to show my sister, who is an RN and can handle things and even she said, eewhhh. I had the notion to go surprise them and cook a meal.

As I was driving I also decided to get them a few Chic-Fil-A sandwiches since they would never buy them for $2.55 a sandwich with their money but anyone else's money is ok. I also bought them a large chicken salad cup thinking they could have sandwiches for a few days. Wow, I think I am doing great taking these two things and cooking a meal of meatballs and rice, their favorite. I should not have thought anything I was doing would turn out great.

I get there at four in the afternoon and  they are cooking dinnner. Four for me would be a late lunch but I stay up until midnight too and they are asleep by nine unless the Braves are playing. He will stay up all night for that. I forgot that old people eat early.  Anyhow, I tell her what I have and what I am doing. They grab the sandwiches and start eating them right away while I start the meatballs and gravy on the stove. I turned the front burner on , well what I thought was the front burner and I started smelling burning plastic. I look over and her old tupperware from the 1960's is melting and bisquick mixture is everywhere and I mean everywhere. Dummy me had turned the back burner on and out of all the burners that is the burner she put her mixture for her bisquick cheeseburger pie.

They are on the porch sitting in 95 degree temperature (you know old people get cold easily) eating their sandwiches. So I begin to clean my mess up and am looking for more bisquick to whip up another batch. Well I had to eat humble pie and ask her only to find out that was the last of the bisquick. Oh my, I should have known.

My grandmother was trying to be so sweet but I heard her tell my grandfather what a waste of eggs and milk. That was her way of thinking.

My thought was wow, I messed up one meal and brought three meals so I think they are two ahead. If only everyone thought that way.

Moral of the story, I would say, it does not pay to be nice but that's not true. My moral is it does not pay for ME to be nice.

NOTE: We put the hamburger in the fridge and my aunt brought bisquick on her visit the next day but I think they still think I owe them a cup of milk and two eggs. Now I need to go to the thrift store to see if I can find a 1960's tupperware bowl.

 Oh well, I tried.

Here is the recipe :

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=35487

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were trying to do a good deed and the devil was determined to ruin it for you.  

Don't let him win!!  Just keep smiling and persevere!!  So what if the bisquick was ruined in the long run it washes down the drain and all that is left is the real reason you went to take food to your grandparents.  Sometimes it is just the thought that counts not the end result.  

Now for the good news~~  I tagged you for the middle name meme that Resa started.  

Love ya! Jen