Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ventures of mexican eating with my nephew

We went out to eat at local Mexican restaurant this evening. There were six of us including my dear sweet almost four year old nephew. My BIL and I were at one end across from each other which allowed the munchkin to wander between a few seats. Everyone had ordered and my nephew had a kids taco meal which he was barely eating while he ventured around the table and investigated everyone else's food. My BIL tells him to go back to his seat and eat his taco at the same time the waitress came to refill my water. My nephew and the waitress start some kind of conversation in which I nor my BIL could understand so we are smiling and being polite. We hear my nephew say two words we could understand soft and beef. She walks away and he blurts out I'm getting beef. We said "yeah your taco is beef" thinking he was just talking about his taco he was eating and before we know it the waitress comes out with another soft beef taco. Now please explain to me how this little four year old was able to order another beef taco and we couldn't get her to understand that my mom and I were splitting the Fajitas for two. I started laughing so hard I was choking at this four year old ordering a taco and the two adults closest to him being clueless as to what was transpiring. Needless to say whenever the waitress returned we covered my nephew's mouth because we might have had something bigger like a mexican steak dinner on the way.

And to think.... I took four years of Spanish and still didn't understand what the waitress and him were talking about. Sad, sad, sad.

 

No comments: