Friday, April 4, 2008

If hunger is not the problem....

If hunger is not the problem, Food is not the answer.

 

We all need to remember that in everyday life of stress and emotional eating. I know for one I am a stress, emotional and celebratory eater. I eat for every emotion. But why? Because that is how I learned to deal with problems. If I was injured, I had a cookie. If I was sad, I had potato chips. If I was celebrating , we had cake. All emotions turned to food.

I know I was not hungry when I ate a cookie because I deserved it when I was wounded. I knew I wasn't hungry when I demolished the big bag of chips because I was sad or stressed. I also wasn't hungry when I had that cake to celebrate something.  Once I have had the comfort foods I then feel guilty and  repeat the cycle with more food. These habits have to change.

I am changing them slowly. I do not bring cookies or potato chips in the house. Both of those foods are my trigger foods. Once I have a few I must finish the bag to keep me from eating them tomorrow. It makes a lot of sense right.

The food does not fix my problem so why even turn to it. Read a book, exercise, clean, or best of all spend time with God. Find something other than food because food isn't going to fix the emotional need of anything.

Remember.... If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so true!! and until we get that concept, we'll never keep the weight off, we'll keep bouncing back and forth with it; we need to fix why we eat

wise words!!

betty