Saturday, September 1, 2007

Thank you but I really did not want it

If you come to my house you will fast discover that I collect change. I have been doing this for years. After a year I average $500 or more and that is my vacation money.

Sometimes I get a little obsessed with collecting change. I will give someone a dollar before I will give someone a quarter. Sad, I know. Even if I have the exact change in my pocket, I will give the cashier another dollar in order to get more change for my vacation fund. I have been known to come home from shopping all day with about five dollars in change because of my obsession.

It has been a few days since I have deposited any change in my change buckets because I have been using my check card instead of cash. So just imagine my excitement when my meal tonight came to $7.01. I had the penny in my pocket but no I was not going to use it . Woohoo I was going to get 99 cents back. The cashier said. "Don't you have a penny?" I said, "nope." I know it was a lie but I did not have a penny for that purpose. My change is not for that purpose it is for vacation. So was it really a lie, hmmh. Well the police officer behind me says, " I have one." My response, " Really I am ok, I like change." He looks at me like what bozo likes change and makes a mental note probably to follow me home tonight to see if I have been drinking. The cashier rolls her eyes. First I was thinking, No she didn't but I let it go as she took the penny from the officer. I was polite to the officer and said thank you as a southern girl should always be polite but I was fuming and thinking....

THANK YOU BUT I REALLY DID NOT WANT THE PENNY!

 

At that point I felt guilty about telling the cashier I did not have a penny and now my little lie had spread to a police officer. I could not let them know I had a penny.... so silly, a penny, but oh you see the webs little white lies weave.

 


Tags: , ,

No comments: