Thursday, September 20, 2007

Miss Homemaker.... NOT!

Well , first off let me start off  that I have started my healthy living lifestyle, again. Yeah I know I am off and on and up and down. Well I weighed in and I have lost five pounds since my last weigh in three weeks ago. YAY!

I have been getting the Mickey D's yogurt parfaits again as a snack. Ummmh, they have the best tasting yogurt ( and I am not a yogurt eater) but the best part is the granola.  I get very upset if they leave out my granola. That is the highlight of my snack.

I was browsing some recipes and ran across some home-made granola recipes. I was fascinated because it never dawned on my that you could make it. Well I know it doesn't grow on trees but I never thought about the making of granola. So I decided to whip up a batch. I have to say it was mighty good too. Now I just need to stash some in my purse so I won't get so upset when Mickey D's forgets my granola.

                                      MY GRANOLA RECIPE

Well first I need to tell you I do not follow recipes to a T but will give you what should happen.

3 cups rolled oats ( Yes that's plain old fashioned oatmeal, learned that today too. By the way I tried to add extra oats for a less sweet granola and accidentally doubled to 6 cups, but its fine )

1/4 cup of slivered or chopped nuts ( I used almonds)

1/3 cup shredded coconut ( optional for some but I used it)

1/4 cup maple syrup ( well I poured a little more but that's me, remember I had a lot of oats)

1/4 cup honey ( ditto from maple syrup)

1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon ( for those of you that really know me, I don't like cinnamon but this is not much for all the oats I used)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine oats, nuts and coconut  in large bowl.  In small saucepan, heat maple syrup, honey, cinnamon and vanilla until mixture is warm, 2-3 minutes.  Stir, then pour over oat mixture.  Stir with rubber spatula until evenly coated.  Coat one large cookie sheet (two if you used 6 cups of oats) with vegetable oil spray. Spread granola to cover pan in even layer.  Bake 5 minutes, remove from oven and stir.  Repeat every 5 minutes until oats are lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.  Cool granola in pan.  It will get crisp.  Store in airtight container 1-2 weeks.

You can add sunflower seeds, dried apples, raisins, cranberries, dates or any dried fruit to the mixture. Be creative and use what you like. And this is a healthy snack too. This is also sinfully easy and the kids can help too. My nephew was my oats mixture mixer.

In the future, refer to me as.....

Miss Wannabehomemaker

 


Tags: , ,

No comments: