Monday, September 24, 2007

Call me Miss Wannabehomemaker 2

UPDATE: I made this bread again with full flavor beer but preferred it made with the light beer.

I have been busy baking things from scratch again. My sister had her in-laws in town last weekend and they (in-laws)  drink beer. The problem is they left a six pack in the refrigerator hoping my brother-in-law would drink it. He has turned a new leaf , has no desire to drink and has not had a drink in 6-7 years. So now the dilemma of what to do with the beer.

Well I remember going to a dinner at a friend's house and they had baked beer bread. They said it was easy and let me tell you it was delicious.This is coming from someone who does not like beer at all. The beer acts as the yeast and the bread was just oh so good.

Well I'll be , lets try it.

Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour

1 12 oz room temperature beer

4 tbsp sugar

4 tbsp melted butter

First send the deacon from the church to get the beer, the cashier already knows they drink. Oops did I say that. Just joking. Any way, Preheat oven 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients but butter. Yes you have to use your hands. My nephew did that part and the measuring of the flour . He had a ball. Place in a well greased loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Pour melted butter over loaf. Bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

I used a Light beer but you can use any beer including non-alcohol beer. You can even add herbs and cheese to change the flavors. No we did not get drunk because the alcohol bakes out. Let me tell you was it good. Ummmh.

THOUGHT: You know the old saying, when life throws you lemons make lemonade... Well....... When life throws you beer, make beer bread.

 

 

 

No comments: