Saturday, August 23, 2008

Let's do the twist....

This evening after work we decided to ride on up to Busch Gardens and see two of the shows we have missed this year. One of them in Germany and the other in France. We missed part of Germany but saw enough to be satisfied. We did see the France American Jukebox which was very good. The highlight of the evening was Chubby Checkers. He was there as part of the summer sock hop series of concerts. We were not going for the purpose of seeing him because we thought the amphitheater would be packed. We slipped in about twenty-five minutes before the concert . We are able to get handicap seats because my father has his new scooter ( more on that later). The concert was great. Not only because of Chubby but this was music my parents grew up on so it was neat to see them enjoying it, especially my father. He is from the North and from an emotionless family. They never show emotion or express emotions. I was able to position myself to watch not only Chubby but my father also. He was singing along and his legs were just a thumping to the beat and he was smiling and thoroughly enjoying the music. All of this coming from a man that we had asked one hour before if he wanted to go to the concert and he said, " No I like his music but I don't do concerts." This also from a man for the past twenty years has let my mother go and do with whomever but not him. He would be on his couch watching television and as long as he knew she was ok, he was fine. That is until he was diagnosed with COPD and was given a scooter. The COPD has subsided but he has new freedom in his scooter. He scoots everywhere we go now, everywhere. He took his scooter to Cosco and spent over a hundred dollars by himself on himself. He takes his scooter to Water Country so he can watch my nephew ( his only grandchild). That scooter is his new found friend and freedom. All I can say is WOW! I never thought in a million years he would ride up with us to Busch for dinner and a concert, never , never, never.

On the down note of the evening. The lady in the scooter that was next to me had some serious body odor. That is why I had to position myself so that I saw my father and Chubby. She smelled like a wet musty dog. It took a long time to figure the odor out because it was familiar. It was familiar because that is what the SPCA here smells like. Oh my goodness it was horrible. I could not move, the place was packed. I tried to turn my nose away from her but then she would move. Oh my! How I was able to get through the concert was beyond me . Even when I got in the car , the smell was in my nose. Don't you hate that? Then I was thinking I had the body odor but I checked and my Secret Powder Fresh was still kicking. My mom tried to defend her and said she might have a disease that makes her have body odor and not to be mean. I wasn't mean. I did not say it to her. I did tell my mom that since she had such a good spirit that when it happened again, that seat was hers and I will sit by my dad. I think that is fair.

Aside from the odor, it was a pleasant evening.

No comments: