Saturday, May 26, 2007

adventures of christian retail

Another wonderful adventure at my job. Most days my customers are nice and reflect Christ like Christians should. Well today was one of the exceptions, I had a man walk in from the minute he walked through the door he had a negative spirit. It was a very very busy day. I heard him here and there making little quips to his wife about this and that. I just smiled with a heavy heart until one comment was made to me about my store. I defended me and my store but not in a negative way, just said we have a store full of merchandise that reflects God's love and I am sorry he can't find one item to spend his $35 gift card on. Now folks my store may be small but it packs alot of wonderful stuff. He made some smart comment back and his wife told her husband I was being the smart mouth. I was like ok whatever. I had a few choice words I wanted to say but the Holy Spirit kept telling me to be tight-lipped and that a soft answer carries no wrath. I may be misquoting scripture but the symbolism is there. I went to the back before the devil took over and instead of coming back out to listen to his continuous negative attitude I sat in the back and prayed for him and for his wife for having to tolerate such negativism. This made me reflect on how many times my mom would will tell me that some battles are not worth fighting and it is better to walk away and show God's love than to continue to argue about something that will make you lose your witness.

This man even said he was going to tell the person that was nice enough to give him a gift card not to get one again from this store. Was I offended? Yes I was, but you know what kind of person would go back to a person who was nice enough to buy them a gift and tell them not to get it again. In the long run my conclusion was that he was the one with the problem and nothing I did could change him but prayer. So I will continue to pray for him today and that God will work on his heart and change it.

Prior to this customer, I was informed by another customer that our store is a safe haven. There is always a wonderful spirit in here and that we always have or can get what she needs. She also commented she would love to work in such a place everyday.

Both of these customers are a reflection on how the devil works against God. The first customer was so positive and then here comes the devil trying to work and bring me down. You can tell by my blog than I wrote more about the negativity than the positive customer, but isn't that how the devil works. But guess what, the devil didn't win and I persevered and remained quiet and prayed.

Thank you Lord for sending the positive customer today to remind me that our store is here and fighting the battle everyday and that people can come to us and feel your love in this place. Lord help me in every way to reflect you and your saving grace and love.

 


Tags: , ,

No comments: